The ELBE 1 (Bürgermeister O'Swald II) served as a floating lighthouse at the Elbe estuary for 40 years. Although construction began in 1943, the ship was not completed until 1948 due to World War II. Anchored in position with a three-ton mushroom anchor and a 250-meter anchor chain, it guided passing vessels with its distinctive light signal.
In 1988, ELBE 1 was replaced by the unmanned lightship FS2. After FS2 capsized during Storm Anatol in 1999, it was replaced by a lighted buoy.
Since 1990, ELBE 1 has been preserved as a museum ship in the Old Harbour of Cuxhaven (DE). The vessel has been restored, equipped with modern navigation systems, and complies with current maritime safety standards. During a major shipyard refit in the winter of 2024–2025, it received a new bow thruster and extensive steel repairs.
Today, ELBE 1 operates day cruises along the North Sea and Baltic Sea coasts during the summer months and is open to visitors in Cuxhaven (DE) from April to October. |